Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sharpie Mug

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it works. I am here to end all controversial discussion of the sharpie mug, because it does in fact work. Well... it worked for me. I assume that everyone has different results, because everyone buys different mugs from different places! I bought my coffee mug at Christmas Tree Shops.

What you need:

  • Plain coffee mug (you can purchase at any craft store, target, dollar stores, etc)
  • Fine tip sharpie marker (I went for the fine tip, because I lack any skill in the artistic department)
  • Eyeliner pencil
To start,  practice the heck out of drawing your states. Or you can draw anything you desire, the possibilities are endless. I chose the long distance mug idea, but rather than drawing it on two mugs, I drew it on one. After I practiced drawing the states several times, I used an eyeliner pencil to redraw it onto the mug. Then I used a black sharpie to outline the eyeliner and I gently rubbed the eyeliner off with a damp piece of paper towel. Once your art is complete, preheat the oven to 350 and bake for 30 minutes. The mug takes 24 hours to dry. DO NOT PLACE MUG IN DISHWASHER. ever. EVER. Very gently hand wash the mug, and you will have no smudging issues. I made the mistake of baking the mug at 425 and it literally burned the red heart to an ugly burnt orange color, I was sad. But when I tried it at 350 degrees, it was perfect!





Voila! Love love love it.


Xoxo, Tonka Violet


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...